Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Falafel

Prior to last weekend, I had only made falafel from the boxed mixes at the store. I had never even thought of making it myself until I saw this recipe. It contained the perfect amount of ingredients and tasted wonderful individually and with pita bread. I absolutely loved the end result!

Ingredients:
14 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 shallot, cut in half
8 cloves garlic
1/4 cup roughly chopped parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup bulgur wheat
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
canola oil
pita bread

Directions:
Place the chickpeas, shallot, parsley, salt, cumin, coriander, and red pepper flakes in a food processor. Pulse until just combined.


Sprinkle the baking powder, bulgur wheat, and flour over the chickpea mixture in the food processor and pulse until well combined. If the dough does not come together add a small amount of bulgur wheat or flour. Place this mixture in a bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour, or as long as overnight. 
Heat about 1/2-inch of canola oil in a large skillet. To test if the oil is hot enough, flick a few drops of water into the pan. If it sizzles, the oil is ready for frying.
While the oil is heating, form the falafel into small balls. Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.


Once cooked, place on paper towels to drain and serve with pita bread.
Source: Crepes of Wrath

9 comments:

  1. Gloriadelpilar_1994February 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

    I love falafel I will try your recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me encanta, que delicia!
    Un besito ^^
    http://janakitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh YUM!!! I love falafels! Thanks for this recipe. I've never thought of trying to make them myself... but now I'm thinking I definitely need to give it a go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i adore falafel, tho i usually bake them instead of frying them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOhh! I love falafels! My boyfriend will not touch them if we go out to eat, maybe he'll change his mind if I make them with this recipe. They look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look amazing and so much better than mixing up powder and water. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love falafels - I've never actually thought to make them myself... I think that just may have to change!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...