Thursday, March 8, 2012

Basic Bread


This bread is absolutely delicious. No questions asked. No persuasion needed. It's easy, doesn't call for a lot of ingredients, and isn't sticky or hard to work with as long as you have plenty of flour by your side.


The only part I do not like about making this bread is creating the steam right when you put the bread in the oven. Pouring water into the broiler tray just isn't enjoyable. I don't like the sound of the water when it hits  or how you have to close the oven door immediately afterwards. The last time I tried it I accidentally ended up pouring it all over the pizza stone, causing the loaf to become wet. Not fun.
The end result, however, is fabulous and definitely worth the trouble.  


Ingredients:
3 cups warm water
1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions:
Place warm water in the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Add yeast and allow to dissolve for 5 minutes. It's okay if it doesn't all dissolve.
Add flour and salt all at once to the water and yeast. Mix with a dough hook until well combined. Cover with plastic and allow to rise for 2 hours.
Once the dough has risen, place on a floured surface. Dust with flour and form into 4 loaves. If not baking all of the loaves at once, refrigerate the rest at this point.
Preheat the oven to 450˚F. Place empty boiler tray in oven.
Place one loaf on a pizza stone, cover with towel, and let rest for 40 minutes. Then, dust with flour and slash a deep cross in the top of the loaf.
Put loaf in oven. Pour 1 cup of water into broiler tray and close quickly to trap the steam. Bake 30 minutes.
Source: Food.com

5 comments:

  1. i like hearing water sizzle. :) it would be most unfortunate to accidentally dump water all over the bread and oven though, but that's probably an error you only make once! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on this bread, Elizabeth! It looks perfectly risen and golden brown. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any kind of bread makes my mouth water. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is definitely going on my to-try lists of recipes!

    Amanda
    softandstiffpeaks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    I just finished the first stage, but I did the kneading by hand. I had a question for the second stage dont I have to punch the air out of the dough before cutting in 4 pieces. I once baked bread before and before the second rise I had to punch the dough to remove air...
    Cant wait to taste it, looks like it has I nice soft crumb, I like that.
    I'm going to bake mine in a bread tin, because I have no pizza stone.
    ps: Sorry for the bad English, I'm from Belgium.

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...