Monday, March 26, 2012

Chicken and Asparagus Risotto

This was not only the first risotto I had ever made, but this was also the first time I had tried risotto. I was skeptical at first about how it would turn out and whether I should make it or not, but it ended up to be well worth it. 

Ingredients:
6 cups chicken broth
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 cups arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
1 bunch asparagus, snapped
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Place the 6 cups of chicken broth in a pot over low heat. The broth needs to be warm when you add it to the risotto. 
Place the chicken in a large pot, cover in water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook 15-20 minutes until cooked through. Remove from the chicken from the water and shred into small pieces. Set aside. 
Melt butter in a large pot until melted. Add the onion and garlic and saute until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook for about 4 minutes. Pour in the white wine and allow the rice to absorb it. Once absorbed, add 1/2 cup of the warmed chicken broth and allow the rice to absorb it. Repeat with the rest of the chicken broth until the rice is creamy and fluffy. 
While pouring in chicken broth, steam the asparagus by placing it in a pot with an inch of water. Place over medium-low heat and cover. Cook until bright green and slightly crunching. Remove from water and set aside. 
Add the Parmesan cheese to the rice mixture along with the asparagus and shredded chicken. Stir and serve immediately, salted and peppered. 
Source: adapted from Crepes of Wrath

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your first time went well - risotto can be tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love risotto with asparagus. Perfect for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Risotto is one of my favorite things to make and eat. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my all time favorite dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never cooked Risotto before, yours looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had Risotto before but this looks delicious! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! I think everything is better with sprinkles! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elizabeth,
    Nice blog you have here and I simply love all the recipes that you feature here.I'll be popping in to see more:) Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the successful risotto! It's definitely one of my favorite dishes. There was a version I really liked that I used to get in a restaurant that had chicken and asparagus and breaded and fried artichoke hearts in it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All my favorite ingredients.
    This looks absolutely yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is your risotto debut?!? impressive! i can't stand asparagus by itself, but like this, i think it'd be a-okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a lovely recipe, I love risotto & asparagus, it's a really nice combination.

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...