Saturday, March 31, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I started making this soup with the immediate intention of thinking I would not like it. The only reason I even saved the recipe was because of my mom's love for it. After I finally added the last addition of the gross, plain, weird-textured corn tortillas to the soup, I tasted it. It turned out to be a nice and spicy soup with softened, much improved corn tortillas. Definitely not any other "make just to make your mother happy" recipe.


Ingredients:
2 whole, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup diced white onion
1/2 cup diced green or red bell pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
10 ounce can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
32 ounces chicken stock
3 tablespoons tomato paste
4 1/4 cups hot water, divided
2-15 ounce cans black beans, drained
3 tablespoons cornmeal
7 whole corn tortillas, cut into small strips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Mix the cumin, chili pepper, garlic powder, and salt together. Rub the 2 chicken breasts with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, followed by the spice mix. Bake in oven 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked. Shred and set aside.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add pepper and cook about 2 minutes more. Add the remaining spice mix, stir, add shredded chicken, stir. Add the Rotel, chicken stock, tomato paste, 4 cups water, and black beans. Bring to a boil, followed by a 45 minute uncovered simmer.
Mix together the cornmeal and remaining 1/4 cup of water. Add to soup and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
Add more seasonings if needed, then remove from heat and allow to sit 15-20 minutes before serving.
Add tortilla strips 5 minutes before serving.
Source: The Pioneer Woman

11 comments:

  1. Funny how we both made soups we didn't think we'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love soup. I don't think I can think of a soup I have had that I didn't like. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do that sometimes; make something just to appease my mom and end up liking it more than she does. This soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. christinefreshlocalandbestApril 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM

    I love all of the spices and textures in this tortilla soup recipe. Ree Drummond is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She really is! I haven't been reading her blog for very long, but every recipe I have made of hers has been amazing. I need to get my hands on her cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chicken tortilla is soup is one of my favorites! This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love chicken tortilla soup, this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This soup is right up my Quay Lo's alley. I make quite a similar soup to go with corn bread. A ideal one pot meal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love chicken tortilla soup and this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing! I love those kind of dishes, they're really tasty

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious! I love tortilla soup!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...