Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Blueberry Blackberry Pie


We have had a 2 lb. container of blueberries for several days now because I was planning on making a blueberry pie. That is, until my dad ate some (a lot) of the blueberries.


The blueberry pie recipe I was going to use called for all of those blueberries and I didn't want to search for another recipe, so I was happy when I remembered this blueberry blackberry pie recipe I saw a while ago.


We already had the perfect amount of blackberries on hand and slightly more than enough blueberries.


I was also pleased with how the graham cracker crumbs that the recipe called for to coat the bottom layer of the crust kept the bottom crust from becoming too soggy.



After the pie came out of the oven I was actually so happy that I had not made that blueberry pie because the combination of the blueberries and blackberries really complimented each other and tasted wonderful together. The only problems I had with this pie was the amount of berry filling that seeped out of the pie (which only affected the look, not the taste) and the fact that I slightly undercooked the pie. It was still really delicious, but it needed just a little more time for the crust to become flaky. I was just too paranoid that it would burn if it stayed in the oven any longer.


Funny how things work out sometimes, I guess.


Ingredients:
2 round 9-inch pie crusts, chilled
2 pints fresh blueberries
1 pint fresh blackberries
1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for dusting the top crust
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
zest of 1/2 a lemon
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 large egg beaten with a splash of water for the egg wash

Directions:
Place the blueberries and blackberries in a large bowl. Gently stir in the sugar, flour, salt, zest and juice. Let sit for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, remove the 2 chilled pie crusts from the fridge and roll each out on a floured surface. Place one of the pie crusts in a pie plate and trim the edges until there is only 1/2-inch of dough overhang.
Sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on the bottom of the pie shell. Scoop the fruit mixture over the graham cracker crumbs and spread evenly with the back of a spatula. Moisten the edges of the pie overhang with the egg wash.
Drape the other rolled out pie dough over the berry mixture. Trim the edges until there is only 1/2-inch of dough overhang. Crimp the edges with your fingers to create a seal. Cut four vent holes in the top of the pie crust.
Place pie in the fridge while the oven preheats.
Preheat oven to 425˚F. Place a cookie sheet on the shelf below the pie to catch any pie spills.
Place a pie crust shield on the edges of your pie and bake pie at 425˚F for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 375˚F and bake for another 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
Allow pie to cool at least 30 minutes on a rack before serving.
Source: Joy the Baker

16 comments:

  1. Omy- this pie looks amazing! Blackberries are one of my favorites! And the price is right now that its summer :) I eat them every morning with my yogurt! Gorgeous gorgeous pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i say the more lemon zest the better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never get tired of pie. This recipe sounds so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!!! Any berry pie is my favorite pie! Looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I just got a microplane, and am SO excited to use it! Maybe I'll make this, it's a while since I made a pie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious pie, love zest of lemon doing wonders in the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea for a pie! The tart blackberries must be perfect with the sweet blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your lovely comments on my space (http://megdeliciousadventures.blogspot.in/) ...you have a nice collection of recipes here..i am your new follower now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous pie! I've never made a blackberry pie. Just about every other berry though. :)
    Thanks for visiting....I love rhubarb too. I post things on this little side blog that seem to have been in drafts too long, but are still recipes I make often and love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  11. Om nom nom - this looks delicious. I love combining fruits in pies. One time my mom wanted to make a peach pie, but she ran out of peaches, so she added grapes (moms, right?) and it ended up being really tasty! Sometimes the most tasty things come out of left field.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm..looks great..thanks for visiting my blog. Now I'm following you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just got a microplane 2 weekends ago and although I've only used it twice I am totally obsessed with it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the graham cracker trick is a great one! i love the deep, dark color of your glorious pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. http://goo.gl/vC6wZ

    ReplyDelete
  16. http://goo.gl/vC6wZ

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...