Friday, May 11, 2012

Kale with Lime, Pine Nuts and Currants

It's almost time for summer, which is great news for the delicious food that comes with the season. We have been buying lots of produce (kale and strawberries in particular) from a place called Fresh Harvest. They have the best strawberries and I'm not sure what I'm going to do when they go out of season again!


I used Russian kale in this recipe, but you can use whatever type of kale you prefer. All types are delicious!


This salad tastes great by itself, and even better with salmon. There is a lot of kale in here, and you need to have something to balance it out.

I originally wanted to make this with lemon, but we only had limes on hand. I'm not a huge fan of lemon anyway, so I'm pretty sure I liked this lime version even better than I would have liked the intended lemon version anyway. Also, limes aren't quite as popular as lemons, so they give this salad a unique (and very nice) twist.

Ingredients:
1 large bunch kale
juice of 2 limes
1/4 olive oil
salt, to taste
1/4-1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
1/2 cup currants
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Remove the large, central stems of the kale and roughly chop the leaves before placing in a food processor. Pulse the kale until the kale is processed into very small pieces. Then, add the lime juice, olive oil, salt, pine nuts, currants and Parmesan (adjusting amounts to suite your taste buds). Stir to combine.
Enjoy as is or with seasoned salmon!
Inspired by Tavern

2 comments:

  1. I prefer limes to lemons in genera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not usually a fan of kale, but the pine nuts and Parmesan may be able to make me think otherwise!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...