Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Coconut Panko Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa

STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP... BANG! quiet. Repeat all night and all morning.


There is a list of things I love, and then there is a much longer list of things I do not like and that annoy me. One of the pet peeves highest on my list is my dad's footsteps, most prominent when he is packing. I cannot stand the sound of his shoes as he paces around upstairs. I do not understand how they are so loud.
AHHHH


I am a person who likes quiet and likes to cook in a quiet and calm environment (loud footsteps = chaos and stress brewing). Although I feel as if I might go crazy right now if the sound of these footsteps do not go away, I am calmed by the fact that these shrimp were made in a quiet and calm kitchen just earlier this afternoon.


This recipe is so simple and delicious that you could concentrate on it even when there are noises and loud obnoxious voices all around you.


To start off with the shrimp, you just need flour, egg whites, panko breadcrumbs, and coconut. How simple! How nice!


The shrimp are only in the oven for about 10 minutes, and the breading stays on the shrimp throughout the entire process! I usually have the problem (and/or fear) of the breading falling off, so I am always thankful when it stays on. I think it was the egg whites that made this possible.


While the shrimp is cooking, it's time for pineapple salsa with cilantro and sriracha.


Mmmm...


And in the end, everything comes together. This time, at least. 


Coconut Panko Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa
from Shutterbean

Ingredients:
for the shrimp:
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
3 large egg whites
8 oz. medium shrimp
salt and pepper, to taste

for the salsa: 
1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
1/4 bunch cilantro, chopepd
1/2 teaspoon sriracha

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450˚F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, place a wire rack on the sheet and set aside.
Place the flour in a shallow dish. Place the toasted coconut and panko in a second shallow dish. Next, whip the egg whites until they are foamy, but not holding peaks yet.
Cover the shrimp in the flour, shaking off the excess, and then cover completely in the whipped egg whites. Finally, completely coat the shrimp in the coconut and panko mixture.
Place the breaded shrimp on the wire rack and season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden, crisp, and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, puree the pineapple with the cilantro and sriracha until almost smooth.
Serve the shrimp with the pineapple salsa.

2 comments:

  1. Simple shrimp is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm allergic to tomatoes I love the idea of a pineapple salsa! I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...