Thursday, June 14, 2012

Crunchy Kale Coconut Rice Bowls

I was originally interested in this recipe because it involved 2 ingredients that I really like: coconut and (most importantly) kale. Then, I looked further into the recipe and realized it had soy sauce and sesame oil. These oils + kale + coconut just did not sound appetizing at all, but I thought I would try the recipe anyway. 

Let's just say I am so glad I decided to try it! I love the crunch and taste that the kale and oils provided in addition to the coconut.

And, as always, it was so simple. To start, mix the kale and coconut together in a large bowl and the oils together in a separate small bowl. Combine!

The original recipe said to mix in 2/3 of the dressing at this stage and then add in the remaining after it comes out of the oven but I forgot and ended up just adding all of the dressing. I loved it!


Place it across 2 baking sheets


and bake until crispy and brown!


Place in a bowl


and serve with brown rice.


If you like kale chips, you'll love this recipe!

Kale Coconut Bowls 
makes about 4 servings 
from Shutterbean and Joy the Baker 

Ingredients:
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
15 ounces kale, central stems removed
1 cup large flake or shredded coconut
2 cups cooked brown rice 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. 
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, sesame oil, and soy sauce. In a large bowl, toss the kale and coconut with the oil dressing.
Spread the kale mixture evenly across two baking sheets and bake until the coconut is golden and the kale is crispy, 12-18 minutes, tossing once.
Remove from oven and transfer kale mixture to a medium bowl. Divide the brown rice between bowls and top with the kale mixture. Serve immediately!

6 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely delicious! I bet they make a great snack instead of crisps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great kale chip recipe! I will be trying these for sure! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love coconut and kale! This sounds delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy (Savory Moments)June 18, 2012 at 3:27 AM

    This looks like a great light meal or side dish. I like coconut and kale a lot, but don't think I've ever eaten them together. I bet it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I frequently make kale chips but I am intrigued with the addition of coconut. I am excited to try this out. I am thinking it will really add flavor and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always forget those little in-between steps. Glad to hear that adding the dressing in the end works out.

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...