Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Mexican Rice

Normally, I make this cilantro lime rice and eat it with seasoned chicken and spinach, but I decided to try this other rice to see how it tasted.


It was so delicious, and will definitely be a staple rice from now on.


The only problem I had with this rice was the size of the pot that I used. I had a little trouble stirring because the pot was small, but that was definitely my fault and can be easily fixed.

It didn't affect the taste, of course, and it still turned out great.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 large white onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups long-grain rice
10-ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles
14.5-ounce can tomatoes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 cups low-sodium chicken broth (I used 3)

Directions:
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add the rice. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure the rice doesn't burn. Add the Rotel, tomatoes, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Stir to combine and cook for another 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of the broth and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until rice is done. If needed, add more broth. I ended up using all 3 cups. 
Source: adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier

3 comments:

  1. This looks heavenly. May have to persuade the family to let me cook dinner again... You always give me such inspiration! Keep up with the good work!

    Lots of love xxx

    www.etiennesjournal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. RichardLAndersonJune 7, 2012 at 2:06 PM

    http://goo.gl/TsKMc

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...