Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Cauliflower Mac and Cheese

DSC_0440

When a recipe calls for an entire bunch of parsley, an entire ear of corn, or an entire pineapple I am so happy because I don't like to have half a can of beans or half a zucchini left over from a recipe. Maybe they'll be used, but it annoys me when these halves go to waste. If you use an entire bunch of kale, you don't have any leftover and therefore you don't have any worry about the leftover not being used.

DSC_0437 

This recipe only calls for part of a cauliflower, and I almost wasn't going to make this because I didn't have a plan for the rest of the cauliflower. That sounds a little ridiculous but I didn't want to have less than one cauliflower sitting around. However, I am so glad I did end up making this because it turned out great. It was easy, no oven required, and quick. 

DSC_0442

Maybe it would be a good idea to use the remaining cauliflower to make more batches for later! 

2012-07-28

To make this, you'll just need 6 ingredients.

DSC_0384

First, start out by cooking your pasta followed by cutting your cauliflower into small florets. Then, cook them until soft and puree them in a blender.

DSC_0404

Chop your parsley for later and combine the cooked pasta, cauliflower puree, cheeses, and milk in a large pot.

DSC_0422

Stir until the cheeses are melted, and you're done!

DSC_0435

How easy was that?

Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
serves 4

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. whole-wheat penne
1/4 head cauliflower, cut into florets
8 oz. block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Directions:
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the penne until al dente. Drain the pasta, place back in the pot, and set aside.
Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil and cook the cauliflower 5-7 minutes, until soft. Drain and puree the cauliflower in a blender.
Add the cauliflower puree, shredded Cheddar cheese, grated Parmesan, and milk to the large pot filled with the pasta. Gently stir the mixture until the cheeses are melted.
Season the pasta mixture with salt and pepper, to taste and sprinkle with the chopped parsley to finish. Serve immediately. 

7 comments:

  1. I've never thought about the logistics of recipes requiring half a bunch of parsley, but so true. I do always seem to have half of things in my refrigerator. Fun recipe, I like the idea of using cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I like the addition of cauliflower to this recipe! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great for when you only need a small amount of an ingredient and you happen to have extra of said ingredient, but I hate it when they go to waste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been really working on using up "halves"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you! I hate saturdays spent chucking out squidgy fluffy leftover vegetables! this is genius I usually mix the chopped cauliflower in with the pasta, but I love the idea of having it pureed as the sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true about the Saturday situation!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...