Friday, August 31, 2012

Broccoli and Pasta with Parmesan Croutons

DSC_0891 

I used to LOVE croutons. I ate them on their own until they stopped making the kind I liked. I'm not sure why I liked them so much, but I think it just it had something to do with them being made of bread. 

Including this recipe, I can only think of 2 specific times when I have had croutons since then. I'm not that into their crunchiness anymore. 

DSC_0889 

When I saw this recipe, though, something about croutons + pasta kept me flipping back to look at the photo and the ingredients. It was simple, did not call for many ingredients, and had croutons + pasta. I think my attraction to this recipe was because of the carb duo that I had never read about prior, but that I really wanted to try! 

DSC_0908 

Although simple, this dish tasted great because of the hard croutons and soft pasta topped with Parmesan. 

DSC_0898
First, start with the croutons. Just bread, oil and Parmesan.

DSC_0824

Then, cook the pasta and later add the broccoli.

DSC_0830

After that, heat up some oil and sliced garlic.

DSC_0860

Look at the oil movement!

DSC_0870

Finally, stir in the pasta and broccoli.

DSC_0874

Remember your croutons from earlier?

DSC_0878

We'll top the pasta with the croutons and more Parmesan. Both are definite must haves!

DSC_0888

Dogs in the distance. They love cheese!

DSC_0880

All finished.

DSC_0902 

Broccoli and Pasta with Parmesan Croutons
serves 4
from Everyday Food September 2012

Ingredients:
1/2 baguette, cubed (3 cups)
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce), plus more for serving
salt and pepper
3/4 lb. medium pasta shells
1 bunch broccoli, cut into small florets
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F. Toss the bread with 1 tablespoon of the oil on a rimmed baking sheets. Sprinkle the Parmesan evenly on top of the bread cubes and season with salt and pepper. Bake until toasted and golden, about 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta 2 minutes less than the package instructions. Then, add the broccoli and cook 2 minutes. Drain.
Place the garlic and remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in the pot and cook until the garlic is fragrant and lightly golden, 1-2 minutes. Add the pasta and broccoli and toss to combine.
Serve with grated Parmesan and croutons. 

2 comments:

  1. this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love croutons, but I rarely buy them or make them. They've become a restaurant treat for me.

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...