Thursday, August 16, 2012

Oatmeal Raisin Pancakes

I'll wait an hour for a pie to bake or two hours for dough to rise, but ask me to wait for a pancake to cook on a hot griddle for two minutes and I am in trouble.

I check to see if they are done every couple of seconds, which causes them to cook slower, and I flip them too early because I am paranoid they are going to burn if they cook any longer.

On the other end of the spectrum, I go off and do something else so they have the opportunity to cook uninterrupted, I come back, and they're burnt.

So, pancakes are a little bit of a struggle for me to make because of how impatient I am when I just have to stand and wait until they bubble on the top and are golden brown on the bottom. 

With this batch, I was pretty patient (kind of) because I was excited about them, and they actually turned out better than a lot of the pancakes I have made in the past.

They were golden, cooked through and have a great texture. I didn't even bother with many of them while they were cooking. Success!

Since these pancakes are not very sweet on their own, you can (and most definitely should) add maple syrup because it helps sweeten the pancakes. Sometimes pancakes are overly sweet on their own and once you add maple syrup it's sugar overload but you can add maple syrup to these without having to worry about the sugar bar being too high.

And, they're totally acceptable for dinner.

Golden Raisins!

Onto an UNgreased griddle (the batter already has butter, more butter or oil just makes them greasy, soggy and super unattractive)!

All finished, topped with maple syrup for whatever meal you choose.


Oatmeal Raisin Pancakes
makes about 3 dozen small pancakes

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
large pinch of ground nutmeg
2 large eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/3 cup golden raisins

Directions:
Whisk together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg in a large bowl. Set aside. 
Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, maple syrup, and melted butter in a medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients and fold until all the ingredients are combined. Then, fold in the raisins. Allow to stand for 5 minutes. 
Heat a griddle over medium heat. Spoon the batter onto the hot griddle and heat until the top is bubbling and the bottom is browned. Flip and cook through the other side, about 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining pancakes. 
Serve immediately with maple syrup. 

8 comments:

  1. Jessica_AKitchenAddictionAugust 16, 2012 at 7:15 AM

    These sound wonderful! I love oatmeal raisin cookies, so I would love to eat these for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound so flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a pancake checker also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oatmeal raisin is one of my favorite types of cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That name sounds more official and forgiving; I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am kicking myself silly. I can't believe I have never thought to make these. These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breakfast for dinner is one of our favorite meals. Pancakes or waffles or French toast. It's all good! Your pancakes look perfect so patience pays off. Must try to remember that as I, too, am a pancake checker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these pancakes looks delicious! I can't wait till the weekend to make some!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...