Sunday, September 2, 2012

Nectarine Pie

You know that feeling you get when you eat an unreasonable amount of sugar in one day? That's how I feel right now. Between this pie, a bundt coffee cake, and a batch of cookies from Friday night I have way too much sugar in my system! I also didn't eat very much non-sweet food, which doesn't help at all. The good end of the sugar side effects I'm experiencing right now include knowing the fact that everything was really delicious. This pie was definitely my favorite out of everything I ate, though.

Nectarines are not really front and center in my mind because peaches dominant the picture as my favorite fruit, but this pie was absolutely delicious! It tasted very similar to peach pie, but just slightly different. I'm not sure which one I like more! 




Start out with your nectarines. I used 8 for this pie.

To remove their skins, blanch the nectarines in boiling water for 60 seconds and then transfer to an ice bath. Their skins will now peel easily right off!

Make sure your crust is cold before rolling it out or doing anything major with it.

For the bottom crust, I like to roll it out, place it in the plate pie, and then refrigerate it while I make the filling and do other stuff.

Filling ingredients!

Mixed filling stands for 15 minutes.

Into the bottom crust (don't forget to sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on the bottom first) and covered with the top crust.

Oven, unbaked.

Oven, baked. Don't forget to place a baking sheet under your pie! My filling seeped out in more than 1 place...

Let it rest for 2 hours. The wait will be worth it!

Ice cream adds an additional sugar item and makes it extra delicious. 




One piece won't put you into total sugar overload, but it's another story if you end up eating the whole thing...

Nectarine Pie
makes 1 9-inch pie

Ingredients:
for the filling:
5 cups peeled and sliced ripe nectarines (I used 8 nectarines)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup potato starch
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
pinch of cinnamon

2 pie crusts
scant 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon granulated sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400˚F.
To remove the nectarine's skins, blanch the fruit in boiling water for 60 seconds and then transfer to an ice bath. The skins will now easily come off.
To make the filling, place the ingredients in a large bowl and gently toss together until the nectarines are evenly coated with the other ingredients. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Roll out 1 of the pie crusts and place it in a 9-inch pie plate. Evenly cover the bottom crust with the graham crackers and top with the filling. Roll out the 2nd pie crust and place on top of the filling. Crimp the edges of the crust together. Brush the top crust with the milk and then evenly sprinkle with the sugar. Make slits in the center of the top crust and bake 60-70 minutes, until the crust is golden. Make sure you have a baking sheet under the pie to catch any of the filling that seeps out of the pie.
Allow to cool and set on a wire rack for at least 2 hours. Serve with ice cream. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm usually okay with sugar, but a couple of weeks ago I was definitely bogged down in sugar overload.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good but so bad at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. seeing ice cream melting all over a piece of fruit pie flips a switch inside me and i just get hungry. this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pie and ice cream melts my heart and mends it in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...