Wednesday, September 26, 2012

S'mores Ice Cream Cake

Yesterday (Tuesday) was my birthday, and to celebrate, I made this ice cream cake. I did not have time to make a layer cake or anything like that, so I just made this super easy and quick ice cream cake. 

With just 3 main ingredients, this ice cream treat is filled with chocolate and tastes absolutely amazing. I thought the graham crackers would become soggy because of the ice cream, but they did not! They remained crisp and yummy throughout the entire process. 
Also, this recipe called for toasted marshmallows on top to complete the "s'mores" package, but I was so excited about this cake I forgot to include them! Oops! 

In addition to cake, my mom made dinner. She roasted potatoes, carrots, and green beans and bought these snowflake rolls from Whole Foods. These rolls are super soft and have a great roll flavor. You should definitely buy some!

She also made crab cakes and bought strawberries and grapes. 

These crab cakes are so much better than any I've had out to eat. They don't have any weird spices or a gross texture like the ones I have tried out.

Overview!

My mom also bought this mini cake so we would have an "actual" cake. I turned 16 so I arranged 16 candles around the flower in the center. I love candles!

Does anyone know the maximum number of candles you can put on a cake without having a disaster strike? Would any number of candles over 40 possibly work? 50? 60?? How about 80? I want this to happen!

Here's another picture of the ice cream cake. I loved the layers!

The mini cake my mom bought was two-toned on the inside.

Stripes!

To make this cake, you start with a foundation of graham crackers followed by ice cream and fudge sauce, x3. I have an amazing fudge sauce recipe to share from the Joy the Baker cookbook. It is out of this world delicious.

You freeze this cake in between layers and I left the fudge sauce on the counter during this process. It stiffened just a little bit, so by the last layer I pretty much just swirled the ice cream together with the chocolate.


Expectations exceeded!

S'mores Ice Cream Cake
makes a 9 x 5 cake
adapted from Annie's Eats

Ingredients:
graham crackers
vanilla ice cream
about 1 1/2 cups fudge sauce
*the original recipe calls for toasted marshmallows on top and I meant to include them but I accidentally forgot! 

Directions:
Line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap. Line the bottom of the pan with graham crackers, followed by a layer of ice cream and about 1/2 cup of fudge sauce. Freeze for 30 minutes.
Place a 2nd layer of graham crackers, vanilla ice cream, and about 1/2 cup of fudge sauce on top of the frozen layer. Freeze for 30 minutes.
Place a 3rd layer of graham crackers, vanilla ice cream, and about 1/2 cup of fudge sauce on top of the frozen layers. Freeze for 30 minutes, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze at least 4 hours before serving. 

5 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! My mom makes a similar ice cream cake - without the graham cracker layers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And ice cream cakes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Birthday! Your ice cream cake looks absolutely delicious, as does the whole meal + the separate cake. What a fantastic birthday it sounds like you had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!! hope you had a great day! that meal looks incredible! and that icecream cake looks to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay yum! I have to try this cake!! Happy Birthday!


    xx
    Giovanna
    www.oliveandanarrow.com

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...