Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Three Cheese Tomato and Herb Tart

DSC_0661-001 

Three day weekends are one of my favorite things next to pies and the green color of ripe avocados. They give you an extra day to bake even more and an excuse to put things off yet another day. The bad part about three day weekends is that they start the week off on a Tuesday. 

Tuesday is the absolute worst day of the week. 

On Tuesday mornings you have four entire days ahead of you and it's just a gross day. Yes, you have five days ahead of you on Monday mornings but Mondays are somehow better because they get so much bad talk. I think I kind of like them because so many people dislike them. I guess that's kind of weird... 

DSC_0738-001

To cover up my dislike for the start of this week, I made this for dinner on Monday night. It's easy and yields a satisfying result. I wasn't expecting it to be so flavorful, but the tomatoes, herbs and cheeses tasted perfect together and I loved the combination of the ingredients. I served it with spinach and strawberries and the raw spinach tasted great with the tart! 



DSC_0730-001

It all starts with tomatoes.

DSC_0520-001 

You don't want a soggy tart, so place the tomato slices between paper towels to rid the tomatoes of excess juice. 

DSC_0593-001

3 cheeses? genius!

DSC_0557-001

Herb butter is amazing.

DSC_0560-001

After you have rolled out your puff pastry, slap on the herb butter. I think that this tart would also taste amazing with a layer of pesto during this stage!

DSC_0568-001

Cheeses, tomatoes and more cheese.

DSC_0602-001

Send it off to the oven for 30 minutes and then admire the result. Isn't it beautiful?

DSC_0640-001

Now you're ready to tackle the week.

Maybe.

Three Cheese and Herb Tomato Tart
makes 1 square tart
adapted from shutterbean

Ingredients:
3 ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/8-inch slices
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (I just used store bought but if you want to make it yourself here's a recipe)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/3 cup shredded aged white cheddar cheese
1/3 cup shredded Pecorino cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 400°F. 
Place the sliced tomatoes on several paper towels to get rid of the tomato juice. Place more paper towels on top of the tomatoes and allow to sit for 30 minutes to soak up anything extra juices. 
Unfold the puff pastry, flour both sides and roll out the sheet so it is just slightly larger than it was at first. Pinch any holes that may have formed and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Score the edges and prick the dough with a fork to prevent it from puffing up while baking.
Mix together the melted butter, dried basil, dried oregano, red pepper flakes and dried thyme in a small bowl. Spread this herb butter evenly across the puff pastry and sprinkle the white cheddar, Pecorino and half of the Parmesan on top. Sprinkle the minced garlic evenly across the cheese. Place the sliced tomatoes on top of the cheese and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
Bake for 30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Cut into squares and serve immediately. 

9 comments:

  1. www.straitsbakes.blogspot.comSeptember 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM

    simple but yet full of flavor...nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sydney @ The Crepes of WrathSeptember 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM

    This looks delicious! I love the photos of the tomatoes with water droplets on them - so appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike! I made a siimlar tart a couple days ago--I only used mozzarella, and I added some ricotta and caramelized onions. Your tart looks amazing! I think I put too many toppings on mine and the puff pastry didn't really rise...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet the mozzarella and ricotta were amazing additions; I was just blown away by how simple it was but how delicious it tasted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind starting on Tuesdays - I much prefer them to Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least Tuesday is finally over now! Just 3 more days...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exquisite does this look? So beautiful! And I agree - I've never minded Mondays all that much, but I think the Tuesday after a 3-day weekend is brutal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least tomorrow is Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...