Sunday, December 23, 2012

Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts with Pecans

DSC_0033My dad has said before that the only reason I enjoy cooking and baking is because of the "gadgets" that are involved in the process. In this case, gadgets refer to so many things: the necessities (not always necessary, necessarily) and utensils that I use in the kitchen. While this is definitely not the only reason I love to make great goods in the kitchen, the amount of kitcheny items I have accumulated over the past year about is a little much sometimes, but I love it. I love finding plates and items that I am not sure as to what they are and using them for whatever.

Most of these are from the flea market, or are gifts, and they are coming together to form a constantly growing pile in our dining room. Is that bad? probably. I just think of it as an investment in the future since I'll never have to buy a set of plates when I move out since I'll have so many already.

The other part of the "gadgets" include the actual tools that are involved in the cooking and baking process: the pans, pots and measuring spoons. I don't particularly like buying the super specialty pans that are in the shape of castles that I'll only use one time, but I knew that one pan I would be purchasing was a doughnut pan.

And this brings us back to the reason of this post: pumpkin doughnuts.

DSC_1627
About a month ago I found this doughnut pan for 50% off, and another gadget came into our lives. It was definitely a great purchase for $9 and I know I will be using it many times.

DSC_1633
And while pumpkin recipes are slowly dying out everywhere at this time of the year, I am bringing you a new one right now two days before Christmas because pumpkin is so delicious and because we may or may not have exactly 10 cans of pumpkin in our cabinets right now. It's a good thing they do not expire until 2014.

DSC_1646
Anyway, you fill this pan with the help of a plastic bag. Then, just pipe the batter to form your doughnuts.

DSC_1653
Also, this recipe only makes six doughnuts. You could definitely double it and make twice as many.

DSC_1658
While the doughnuts are baking, you can make the glaze.

DSC_1659


After they have cooled completely, you can drop the doughnuts into the glaze and then sprinkle the pecans on top.

DSC_0010
They are definitely worth the purchase of yet another gadget in your household.

DSC_0016
Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts with Brown Butter Glaze and Pecans
makes 6 doughnuts 

Ingredients:
for the doughnuts:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup pureed pumpkin
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

for the topping:
1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3-4 tablespoons milk

Directions
To make the doughnuts, preheat oven to 325F. Spray a doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray. 
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together the pumpkin, sugar, egg, oil, and vanilla until smooth in a separate small bowl. Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and fold together until well blended. 
Spoon the pumpkin batter into a quart size resealable plastic bag. Snip off the corner of the bag and squeeze the batter into the prepared doughnut pan. Bake about 13 minutes, until the doughnuts spring back when lightly pressed. Allow to cool in the pan for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. 
To make the glaze, brown the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat 4-5 minutes. Pour the browned butter into a bowl with the confectioner's sugar. Then, whisk in the vanilla and milk until smooth. 
Dip the cooled doughnuts in the bowl of glaze and transfer back to the rack. Sprinkle the toasted pecans on top and serve immediately. 

5 comments:

  1. wow these look amazing. I am having a coffee right now and thinking i need one of these doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made doughnuts without the pan, but this looks much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, Natalie! they were soo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delicious, I love donuts! Also, cute donut pan.

    Nora
    www.penchantforpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kara@butterheartssugarJanuary 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM

    Wow these look yummy!! I love all things pumpkin especially when theyre dipped in glaze and sprinkled with pecans :)

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...