Saturday, December 29, 2012

Buttermilk Biscuits

DSC_0968

There are always those things that you wish you did more often. These could range from writing more letters, reading more books or visiting your grandmother more often. Rather than thinking of something that I want to do and trying to do that certain thing a ton (like writing 10 letters a week), I've resorted to just trying to make these tasks more realistic.

Rather than writing 10 letters a week like I used to (I'm not even kidding), I've set a new goal to rather write everyone once a month. That's more reasonable. Even if this doesn't happen, at least it's more likely to happen.

DSC_0983

I've tried to apply this to food as well because I have been known to try to make 8 cakes, 12 pies and 24 batches of cookies in one day (total exaggeration), but I'm learning how to manage and learn how much time things actually take.

I've been trying to plan ahead and be way more realistic with things.

DSC_0957

So, instead of making 4 different kinds of biscuits for when my grandparents were here about two days ago, I settled on just one type. It's definitely doable, not unachievable.

DSC_0872

It's a good thing that I only made one batch too, because right after I finished making the first batch of biscuits, we immediately made another because they were so delicious and easy to make.

DSC_0880

My brother Daniel primarily made the second batch while I took pictures. It was a ton of fun.

DSC_0995

A little (a lot, kinda) of flour was spilled, it got a little messy, but that's just what happens! It's totally realistic.

DSC_0895

After the butter is worked into a flour mixture, and you pour a whole bunch of buttermilk into the dough, your hands with be covered in sticky dough and you'll be ready to knead.

DSC_0899

knead, knead, knead...

DSC_1001

roll, roll, roll...

DSC_1005

Here comes my favorite part: cutting the biscuits.

DSC_0910

Pressing the round biscuit cutter into the dough is so much fun to do!

DSC_1012

Now, these biscuits are ready for the oven.

DSC_0911

They can be pretty close to each other because they do not expand very much.

DSC_1021

Once they have been in the oven for a bit, brush them with melted butter. Then, you can stick them back in the oven to brown just a bit more.

DSC_0920

They are the perfect thing to serve breakfast, lunch or dinner. All three meals would be suitable as well!

DSC_0985

Now, for a real dog picture. Boss is in love with Daniel, who just sprinkled a whole lot of flour on his face. It happens!

DSC_1030

Buttermilk Biscuits
makes about 18 biscuits 

Ingredients:
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small cubes
1 3/4 to 2 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted 

Directions
Preheat oven to 500F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside. 
Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir to combine, and then add the butter. Coat the butter in the flour mixture, then flatten and work into the flour mixture. Leave several flattened disks of butter in the dough. 
Form a well in the bowl out of the flour and butter mixture. Pour 1 3/4 cup buttermilk into the well and stir briefly to combine. If the mixture is too dry to stick together to form a ball of dough, add a little bit more buttermilk. 
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead 8-10 times to form a firm dough. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin to 1/2-inch thickness. With a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, cut as many biscuits as you can out of the dough. 
Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet and bake in the preheat oven 8-10 minutes, until golden brown on top. When done, brush with melted butter, stick back in the oven for about 30 seconds, and serve warm. 

17 comments:

  1. I love that, when you get to the end of a recipe and realize you just HAVE to make it all over again because it's just that good. Well done with these, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayle (The Cooking Actress)December 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM

    Oooooh these biscuits look mouthwatering! I wish I had some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my. These are some of the flakiest biscuits I've ever seen! Amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yums! these looks really good ^^! fluffy and flaky good! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was most definitely a necessity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is a high calorie blog. Looks like lots of stuff to try. Glad I found ya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ashley @ Wishes and DishesDecember 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM

    These look delicious! I have the same pie mat...love it :) Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, these look delicious! I'll have to try them; I'm always on the lookout for a good biscuit recipe. :) And I am the same as you -- I'm learning to make smaller, simpler, achievable goals... it's hard to make myself stick to just ONE realistic goal sometimes, but I always feel better when I actually complete a task, as opposed to having ten items on my list that are *still* not finished! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, these look FABULOUS! I love biscuits. ADORE them. Yum!

    Second, YOU USED TO WRITE 10 LETTERS A WEEK?! You are super woman! I am lucky if I write 10 letters a year -- or decade :P Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loooove homemade biscuits. Yours got so nice and tall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your buttermilk biscuits are impeccable! Mile high and flaky, I'll have two with butter and jam!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to be absolutely crazy about writing letters! That was about two years ago, but I wish I still had the motivation to write that much now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another thing I love about these biscuits is that they really don't call for a bunch of butter for 18 biscuits, yet they're so fluffy and delicious. Compared to a lot of other biscuit recipes, that's not a lot of butter!
    And I've also learned that if you just do the dishes and get it done you feel SO much better! At least I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aha, I always wish I had time to read more. :x


    This biscuits look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your idea of realistic goals.

    ReplyDelete
  16. really good buttermilk biscuits are rather tough to achieve, and if you've mastered it, kudos to you! these look outstanding, elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...