Saturday, December 1, 2012

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

DSC_0057For every Thanksgiving that I can remember, we've had a pecan pie make it to the table. Still, up until this chocolate chip pecan pie, I had never tried a piece of pecan pie. The gooey, over-baked dessert that was placed on our table years before this has always left me with the thought that pecan pie is disgusting. It was definitely just the brand of pre-made pie that a member of our family brought every year that was a little suspicious. And whenever I think of it, I always picture my brother's ex-girlfriend eating the leftover pie that was rejected.

DSC_0059That's just what I think of when I think of pecan pie, but I was planning on making a classic version of the pie for this holiday to give it a second chance and see what it really tastes like. However, a chocolate variation came to mind and I decided that chocolate had to be included in some form.

DSC_1260
It all starts with eggs, and a preheated oven.

DSC_1278
Melted butter is added!

DSC_1285
Along with the butter, you'll add the sugar, corn syrup, and vanilla.

DSC_1289
Now for the pie's namesakes: pecans and chocolate chips.

DSC_1295

At this point, I added a few more chocolate chips on top of the mixture once I poured it into the pie shell.

DSC_1304
Make sure to not bake it too long, and you'll have a pecan pie in no time!

And did I mention that pecan pie is absolutely delicious!

DSC_0057
Chocolate Pecan Pie
makes one 9-inch pie

Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell, chilled

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F.
Beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Add the sugar, corn syrup, melted butter, and vanilla and blend well. Then, fold in the chocolate morsels and chopped pecans and pour into the pie shell. If so desired, arrange additional pecan halves on the top of the pie.
Bake 45-50 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center of the pie. Be sure to not leave it in the oven too long.
Allow to cool on a wire rack before serving. 

6 comments:

  1. it looks delicious! pecans are such great nuts!


    cakes-carina.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom used to make a chocolate pecan pie every year - she called it a "derby pie"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pecan pie is my very favorite. Uncle Dick's mother made the best. I have the recipe if you want to try a traditional pecan pie. People at my office beg me to bake it. . I've never had it with chocolate so will have to try. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you gave pecan pie another chance! It can be so good (and, yes--it can also be so bad) The addition of chocolate looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...