Sunday, December 9, 2012

Fleur de Sel Caramels

Untitled
I'm not sure if I'm alone in this matter, but I have pretty much always been afraid of using a thermometer for baking. So, when I decided to get one, I made marshmallows first. Basically, the thermometer didn't work, and stopped at 120˚F. So I guessed. Thankfully, they turned out alright.

Next, I made toffee. The thermometer stopped at 120˚F again. I guessed, and it came together again.

I had given up on this thermometer now and the next weekend, I made toffee yet again. My guessing and cold water tests did not work so well this time, and the toffee did not turn out.

Untitled
So, I've avoided anything with the use of candy thermometer since for two reasons.

One: I did not buy another thermometer for months

and...

Two: I was back to being nervous about heating something in a pot and needing to pay attention to the temperature.

Untitled


However, in mid-October, when I was at a cooking store and in one of those moods that makes you feel like you can make anything and it will turn out great, I bought a thermometer!

Untitled

And so, when I made these caramels and the boiling mixture actually acted exactly like it was supposed to and the thermometer successfully rose to 246˚F, I was excited and so pleased.

The caramels turned out perfectly, and the fleur de sel tasted so amazing. The only part I would change would have been to add more fleur de sel. I did that after I unwrapped mine each time, though. The salt really helps bring out the flavor of the caramel.

Another part I would change? Buying a thermometer earlier!

Untitled


Fleur de Sel Caramels
from Miette
makes 64 caramels

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
2 cups (14 ounces) granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups (8 ounces) light brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons water
fleur de sel, for sprinkling 

Directions:
Butter the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking dish and line with a piece of parchment that is long enough to extend over two opposite sides to use as handles later.
Combine all the ingredients except for the fleur de sel in a medium saucepan clipped with a candy thermometer. Place over medium-low heat and cook, whisking frequently, until the mixtures reaches 246˚F, 30-40 minutes.
Once the caramel has reached the correct temperature, pour into the prepared pan and allow to cool 15 minutes. Then, sprinkle with fleur de sel and allow to cool to room temperature. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate the pan at least 30 minutes and up to 1 1/2 hours.
Once the caramel has chilled, loosen from the pan by sliding the tip of a knife around the edges of the caramel. Warm the bottom of the pan with a kitchen torch or over a stove burner if the caramel is difficult to remove. Then, cut the caramel into 1-inch squares by measuring 1-inch intervals along the sides of the caramel.
Wrap each caramel in a square of wax paper and twist the two ends. Store in an airtight container (or else they will develop a skin) up to 10 days. 

13 comments:

  1. Vijayalakshmi DharmarajDecember 9, 2012 at 11:39 PM

    wow so tempting one... really love the chocolatyy.... will u pass it to me???

    Thalipeeth

    VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god, they look perfect! and i love fleur de sel.


    cakes-carina.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making caramels! This year I plan to make 4 varieties to give as Christmas presents (of course I will blog about it) A working thermometer goes a long way to help. I'm glad that you got yourself one that works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love making caramels to give as gifts. I plan to make 4 varieties this year (of course I'll blog about it) So glad you got yourself a working thermometer. Here's to many days of happy candy making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to make more caramels. Your four varieties sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you got a new thermometer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've burned caramel too many times to count, so I, too, am at the point where I am afraid of it! But this recipe looks tried and true, plus that last photo is so beautiful I want to print it out and plaster it all over my walls like wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Caramel makes me sooo nervous! But this seems like a pretty foolproof recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. any baker worth her salt MUST have a thermometer! your caramels look SO yummy, elizabeth. i'm glad you got it all worked out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much, Grace! I'm glad I finally came to my senses and bought another thermometer that actually worked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh God, these look sooo good, I need to buy thermometer soon :)

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...