Monday, December 31, 2012

Sparkling Lemonade with Pomegranate

DSC_0726

I really try to avoid any unnecessary waste leftover from any recipe, so I can usually have the excuse to make something else. I don't like having a quarter of a potato around, or half a can of pumpkin puree in the refrigerator. So, last week, to avoid wasting the lemons I had leftover from making candied citrus peels, I made this sparkling lemonade with pomegranate seeds. I thought of a tart, some cookies, or several bars to use this lemon juice, but summer was calling and prompted me to make this refreshing drink.

DSC_0728

While lemon used to not be a favorite flavor of mine, it's slowly growing on me and I'm really starting to like it as a main flavor.

I liked the lemon flavor in this lemonade, and it's not too sweet. Each glass is half full of a lemon simple syrup, and half full of sparkling water. You could definitely make this sweeter by adding more of the simple syrup.

DSC_0763

It all starts with lemons. These are just the first four I had leftover from making candied citrus peels.

DSC_0645

After you juice the lemons, you can make the simple syrup.

DSC_0655

Then, add the lemon juice.

DSC_0659

Now, you're ready to combine the simple syrup with the sparkling water.

DSC_0717

Lastly, you can top these with pomegranate seeds. Super festive!

DSC_0649

It's a perfect way to use leftover lemons.

DSC_0726

Sparkling Lemonade with Pomegranate
adapted from Annie's Eats
serves 6

Ingredients:
1 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
sparkling water or seltzer
pomegranate seeds

Directions:
Combine the water and sugar in a small pot over medium heat. Allow the sugar to dissolve, and then pour in a jar. Stir in the lemonade juice and refrigerate until chilled.
To serve, fill a glass halfway with the lemonade. Fill the remainder of the glass with club soda. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top.

13 comments:

  1. An impressive sparkling drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. having a bit of a cold right now, this sounds perfect! refreshing and healthy!! happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth, Happy New year to you and wish you all the best in 2013. Very refreshing drink, love it. http://ameliade-ssert.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. super refreshing! happy new year to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of using the sparkling water instead of regular. Makes it very festive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love pomegranates and lemon together! This sounds like such a refreshing beverage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound so yummy and refreshing! They're pretty too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds totally delicious! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE pomegranate seeds, I bet they are awesome with lemonade! I actually make some pomegranate lemon cookies - the flavor combination is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah! Pomegranate lemon cookies sound delicious! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks incredibly refreshing!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...