Saturday, January 5, 2013

Apple Crisp

DSC_0638

I usually read, and reread, and reread recipes before I start them. After I check, and recheck, that the flour is measured, the correct amount of butter is softened, and everything is ready to begin, I start baking.

DSC_0651

But with this recipe, yet again, I just skimmed over word and it just did not register in my brain to do it on my own: peel. Peel! Peel the apples!

DSC_0407

While not peeling the apples definitely didn't ruin this wonderful dessert, I am always frustrated with myself when I forget to do something so incredibly simple.

DSC_0411

So, after you make the simple sugar and cinnamon mixture, you can peel, core and cut the apples. Here, I used five Fuji apples and five Granny Smith apples.

DSC_0412

Here are the apples and the cinnamon sugar.

DSC_0416

Next up? The crumble topping. Please remember the pecans. They're delicious.

DSC_0387

This crumble topping involves working butter into several dry ingredients.

DSC_0393

After mixing a little of the crumble into the apples, pile the rest on top.

DSC_0425

After it goes in the oven for about an hour, you're all set. The only thing I forgot to do now is get ice cream...

DSC_0638

Apple Crisp
makes a 9 x 13-inch pan 

Ingredients:
for the filling:
10-12 medium-sized apples (mix of Fuji and Granny Smith)
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

for the topping:
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 2/3 cups packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/3 cups chopped pecans
2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
1 cup unsalted butter, softened

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter.
To make the filling, mix together the granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Then, peel and core the apples and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices and place in the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture and toss together until evenly combined. Set aside while you make the topping.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nuts and oats in a medium bowl. Work in the softened butter with your fingers. Remove 1 cup of this topping and sprinkle it over the apple mixture. Toss to incorporate. Then, spread the rest of the topping over the apples.
Bake 55-60 minutes, until topping is toasted and the apples are bubbling. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Serve with ice cream. 

10 comments:

  1. Awww, I can't tell you how many apple this or that recipes I've found where there has been debates about whether or not to peel the apples for things. I've eaten delicious apple pies with peeled and non-peeled apples and they both taste just as yummy!! =)


    I ALWAYS order an apple crisp when I'm at Applebee's or I think Chilli's when they have it on the menu...well, not anymore! This looks delicious, even with the peeled apples!! Pecans? Really? Must taste delicious!!!


    Ergo-Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO do that, too! I usually have decent attention to detail, but sometimes, my brain shuts off ;) This crisp looks delicious, with or without peeled apples :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every Day is a new AdventureJanuary 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM

    Okay, so I know my focus here should be the food itself, but your photos of said food are amazing. Just thought you should know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you SO much! i'm always struggling with my photos so it's always nice to hear when people appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm super weird about peels, so I always (well, except here!) peel apples, pears, peaches, etc. when I'm making pies or what not but sometimes that just happens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so much better than I am at reading and rereading recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue {munchkin munchies}January 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM

    Apple crisp is one of my favorite comfort foods! Yours looks delicious:) Fabulous photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elizabeth, awesome! Apple and cinnamon are the best combination, I love it.
    Nice click!
    http;//ameliade-ssert.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahah, I think some people like the peel on the apples sometimes! So, it`s not too bad that you forgot to peel. I loveee apple crisps!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...