Friday, January 25, 2013

Apricot Scones

DSC_1789

Apparently, we have been in the new year for 25 days. That's crazy! It's really insane how fast time can go, and how very slow as well.

Remember when I wrote about 13 foods that I want to make in 2013? Well, I have finally made one item off  of that list: scones! I've made scones before, but I wanted to search for a really perfect scone recipe in the new year, so I just attached it onto my list.

How very lucky and fortunate was I to have made the ultimate scones this past weekend. And, with apricots. It can be so easy to mess up a scone, but this is such a solid and amazing recipe that I cannot wait to make again. Although I was planning to make blueberry muffins this weekend, they might just turn into scones...

DSC_1795

Now, for a series of steps, which do not include all the directions. They are just in-depth suggestions for incredible scones, I guess you could say.

Let's get started!

Step 1: Cut your butter into cubes, and stick them in the freezer for a bit. It needs to be super cold. While it's chilling (freezing, but not really), you can prep your dry and wet ingredients.

DSC_1682

Step Two: your fruit. I used one cup of chopped apricots, but you could mix it up if you want. Apricots were super yummy, though, so I highly recommend them.

Also: morning light peeking through!

DSC_1702

Step 3: wet ingredients. You have equal parts (3/4 cup) of buttermilk and heavy cream. These should be cold as well. I just pulled them straight from the refrigerator  measured and poured it right in the well made of dry ingredients. I did not freeze them like the butter.

DSC_1717

Step 4: shape your scones. I came up with 16 of these apricot beauties, but I think I'll go slightly smaller next time. Cheese Board actually yields 10-12, so just make whatever size you want. Just be sure to not handle the dough too much. Be gentle! Food is your friend.

DSC_1748

Step 5: Bake until golden, not brown, or burnt.

Step 6: Enjoy your beautiful scones!

DSC_1842

Apricot Scones
slightly adapted from The Cheese Board Collective
makes about 16 scones

Ingredients:
for the scones:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
1 cup chopped dried apricots (or other dried fruit)
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup buttermilk

for the topping:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or a silpat. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, sift together the flour, baking soda and baking powder (you can make this recipe by hand if you wish). Add the salt and sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated. Add the cold cubes of butter on low speed and mix about 4 minutes, until the size of small peas. Stir in the chopped apricots. Make a well in the center of the bowl and add the heavy cream and buttermilk. Mix just until the mixture comes together. There will be a little lonely flour at the bottom of the bowl.
Shape the dough into small balls and place on the prepared sheets. Be sure to work the dough as little as possible. Mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the topping and sprinkle on top of the scones. Bake 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool and serve warm.
For leftovers, stick back in the oven for a little bit before enjoying. 

9 comments:

  1. These look soooo good! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love scones :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, I feel like January has dragged by! Slowest month of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My stomach is seriously growling looking at these. You are a temptress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous scones! I could go for one right now. =) And in a fun coincidence, we have very similar plates - they were a wedding gift. Yours are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The plates were my great grandmothers, and I just love them so much! We only have 1 large plate, a small one (in the picture) and a cup and saucer but they are my favorite plates ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are just lovely! Here's a pic of ours - they're antiques, but I'm not exactly sure from when, as they were a gift. =) http://www.fearlesshomemaker.com/2012/02/sugar-cookie-bars/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yours are so, so pretty! I love antique plates with flowers, gold detail and what not!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your scones look delicious!! Great blog.

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...