Friday, January 18, 2013

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

DSC_1334

I may or may not have discussed this subject before, but I am not a great cake decorator. I love making cakes, don't get me wrong, but I just do not have that great hand of arranging the icing. Not yet, at least. I really need to push myself to make cakes more often so I practice my icing skills more, but pretty much nothing frustrates me more than having a cake in front of me I'm having trouble icing. So, I'm going to try and start icing 6-inch cakes. Hopefully their smaller size will prove to be more manageable for me and my decorating troubles. In the meantime, though, does anyone have any sources or advice for great cake decorator? I want to read all about it!

DSC_1211

Before the final decorating happens, though, we need to focus on the cake itself.

DSC_1225

Dry ingredients and wet ingredients

DSC_1230

 Walnuts, toasted

DSC_1236

Plus, you have raisins and carrots.

DSC_1243

 The batter is chock full of shredded carrots, which make the cake super moist.

DSC_1246

 I think I'll try making this cake with 6-inch cake pans next and it will be extra tall!

DSC_1256

Baked!

DSC_1323

After the cake has cooled, my doom part (at least for now) comes: the decorating.

DSC_1327

Some swirls here and there, it's whatever!

DSC_1343

At least it's delicious!

DSC_1466

Carrot Cake
from Flour
makes a 2 layer 8-inch cake

Ingredients:
for the cake:
3/4 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons buttermilk
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (160 grams) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 eggs
1 cup (220 grams) packed light brown sugar
2 cups (260 grams) tightly packed shredded carrots
1/2 cup (80 grams) raisins
1/2 cup (50 grams) walnuts, toasted and chopped

for the frosting:
12 oz. cream cheese, chilled
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 2/3 (230 grams) cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:
To make the cake, preheat oven to 350F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans and set aside.
Combine the oil, buttermilk, and vanilla in a small bowl and whisk together. Set aside. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger in a small bowl. Set aside.
Beat the eggs and brown together in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on medium-high speed until light and thick, 3-4 minutes. Slowly pour in the prepared oil mixture on low speed. This should take 30 seconds. Then, fold in the prepared flour mixture with a spatula until almost all incorporated. Add the shredded carrots, raisins, and walnuts and fold until the batter is combined. Evenly distribute the batter between the prepared cake pans and bake about 40 minutes, until golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed in the middle. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
To make the frosting, beat the chilled cream cheese with an electric mixer until well beaten. Add the butter and beat well. Add the confectioner's sugar on low speed and beat well. Finally, add the vanilla and beat until combined.
Ice the cooled cake with the frosting. Store in the refrigerator.

12 comments:

  1. Carrot cake is my favorite and yours looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love carrot cake and this one is so pretty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely carrot cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so delicious!!! I’ll have to get John to make it with me :)
    PS - Thank you so much for the Joy cookbook, Liz. You really did not have to get me anything!! I can’t wait to make something sweet for a snowed in day. Merry late Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Café Sucré FarineJanuary 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM

    Who needs fancy decoration, this cake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pictures are actually from Thanksgiving, but I also made it for John's last birthday as well! He would totally love another one :) And, of course, after talking so much about John not losing the book in his car, I forgot to actually give it to him! Anyways, happy baking!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm awful at cake decorating, but I love carrot cake no matter how it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deliciousness is what counts! The majority of the cakes I've made fall out of the pan and end up in crumbles, but I don't mind; messy food is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. messyeatereats@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I freaking hate decorating...cakes, cupcakes, cookies...I always make a mess and I'm forever finding bits of frosting on my counter afterward. I think you did a fabulous job on your cake, though! Carrot cake is one of my favorites. Love that plate, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cakes and cupcakes are so stressful for me! I clearly need more practice with icing.

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...