Thursday, January 10, 2013

Six Current Reads

Current reads 3

I've collected several new cookbooks recently that are really fantastic and I guess the appropriate thing to do in this situation is to write about them. Even if I don't always cook too many recipes from a particular cookbook, I read these books over and over again just for the recipes and knowledge that gets thrown into cookbooks. This is the same reason why I love reading blogs because you can learn so much about a topic by just reading a recipe and a person's takeaway and personal experience with a recipe.

Also, cookbooks are a major de-stresser for me. I read them every night before I go to sleep because they are so calming and soothing. The only problem with this is that I sometimes get a little too carried away or excited about a recipe, and stay up later and later thinking about and re-reading the recipe.

Anyways! Let's get into the books!

In the Green Kitchen by Alice Waters


Current reads 3

This book has a bunch of basic techniques. My favorite part is that each technique is from a different chef. For example, these buttermilk biscuits (which are amazing, by the way) are from Scott Peacock, and the no-knead bread is from Jim Lahey.

Current reads 3

There are two full pages of chefs that contributed to this book, and I think this is such a great idea to bring so many talented chefs together to make a fantastic cookbook.

I think that the Moroccan-Style Braised Vegetables from Joyce Goldstein and Dirty Rice from Poppy Tooker will be the next two recipes I try!


The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook: Sweetness in Seattle by Tom Douglas and Shelley Lance

Current reads 3

First, let's examine the cover. Such beautiful foods!

See that pretty chocolate bundt? It has potatoes!

Notice the sandwich on the bottom left? It has caramelized broccoli. Genius!

Current reads 3

I like the little blurbs in this cookbook before each recipe. The introduction talking about bakers is so perfect. 

Also, are bakers crazy? Hmmmmm.... I guess that answer would be yes... 

Current reads 3

Look at these fruits! I want to get into making my own jam this spring and summer, so this chapter will definitely be my companion during those adventures. 


Stir: Mixing It Up in the Italian Tradition by Barbara Lynch

Current reads 3

Stir is the only cookbook in this little group of cookbooks that I had not heard about before. Stir is located in Boston, and they teach cooking classes there.  

Current reads 3

This book has really beautiful photos, and their pasta looks super delicious. I am also intrigued by their brioche pizza in addition to the rest of the carbs packed in between these pages.

Current reads 3

Oh, and these meringues. I would photograph every single page but that would get a little excessive. You'll need to get your hands on a copy to see everything! 


The Cheese Board: Collective Works: Bread, Pastry, Cheese, Pizza by The Cheese Board Collective

Current reads 3

When a cookbook has "bread, pastry, cheese, pizza" on the front cover, what could go wrong! It's full of tons of knowledge about cheese and bread, pretty much.

Current reads 3

I am really excited about their different scone recipes. From cheese scones to lemon blueberry scones, they all sound so delicious. I also want to try making focaccia, particularly their pesto focaccia.


The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman

Current reads 3

I'm pretty sure any and every food blogger out there knows about this book from Smitten Kitchen. The book really speaks for itself with the beautiful photographs and simple recipes, such as this this Kale Apple Cherry Salad with Pecans.

Current reads 3

I absolutely love the cover below the book flap with so many different recipes. From the sandwiches to the lemon bars, everything is so perfectly placed and photographed, looking absolutely delicious along the way. One of the recipes I am most excited about are the mussels. Love!!


Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook by Alice Waters

Current reads 3

I'm not sure how many times I'm going to say the word beautiful in this post, but this book really is a beauty. The color prints on the cover and inside sprinkled on the pages by David Lance Goines (google him, his work is so incredibly cool) are so stunning. Normally, I don't tend to go for cookbooks without photographs because I love the visual level that photos add, but this is an exception because a. It's Chez Panisse and b. I can't get over how incredible these illustrations are! 

This book is divided into eight different chapters, each beginning with it's own illustration. I think the Fish and Shellfish chapter is one of my favorites! 

Current reads 3

I am particularly excited about their vegetables, pizza dough, aioli and angel food cake. I made lemon eclairs last week filled with lemon curd and whipped cream that I'll write about soon! 

Current reads 3
So, what are your favorite cookbooks?

8 comments:

  1. Ooo The Smitten Kitchen cookbook, the In the Green Kitchen, & The dahlia bakery cookbook really caught my eye...I would love to purchase the cheese book one day, but Ooo that may be too dangerous hehe I would eat WAY too much cheese! hehe =)


    Enjoy your cookbooks!! They really do look like great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this little peak into these cookbooks! I'm currently digging the King Arthur Baker's Companion - I've made several recipes and they are all so good! Plus it has lots of extra tips and information on making perfect baked goods :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful collection. I too, love to read cook books anytime of the day but since i'm working, i only get to do this at bedtime or weekends. Thanks for taking us through your collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to look into King Arthur's book! I bet it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got it for Christmas - it is awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Alice Waters cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle @ MakeMeCake.MeJanuary 25, 2013 at 9:26 PM

    Its so funny that for the past three weeks I've been reading my cookbooks before bed, too. I thought it was a little unusual, but just find it so relaxing. Glad to hear I'm not alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. they're a total relaxer before sleep!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...