Monday, January 7, 2013

Kale Apple Cherry Salad with Pecans

DSC_1624

I know that I've seen kale on lists of "food trends that must disappear in 2013" and I think that many may be getting tired of this green, but I'm not going to let go of it. Also, I am sure that there are also lots of people out there that really love kale, so I'm going to keep on with kale.

Also, if you have apples, cherries and pecans involved, how could you go wrong?

DSC_1638

DSC_1531

To start, toast the pecans.

DSC_1544

Wash your kale and make sure it is completely dry. You don't want excess water that will dilute your dressing.

DSC_1554

Then, slice an apple, half and pit cherries, take the pecans out of the oven, and place them in the bowl with the kale. Also, use a large bowl, larger than the one that I used. It's easier to toss everything together that way!

DSC_1567

Now, add the dressing.

DSC_1563

Toss together, and now your kale salad is ready.

DSC_1585

And if you're looking for more recipes with kale, just try these recipes:
Kalekopita (spanakopita with kale!)
Kale and Spinach Pocket Pies
Crunchy Kale Coconut Rice Bowls
Kale with Lime, Pine Nuts, and Currants
Kale Walnut Pesto Pasta
Quinoa and Kale Cakes

DSC_1633

Kale Apple Cherry Salad with Pecans
adapted from the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
serves 4

Ingredients:
8 oz. kale, central stem removed, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1 apple, quartered and sliced
1 heaping cup pitted and halved cherries (or, 1/2 cup dried cherries)
juice of 1 lemon, divided
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons honey mustard

Directions:
Remove the central stems from the kale and coarsely chop. Place in a large bowl.
Quarter and thinly slice the apple and squeeze the juice of half the lemon over the apples. Place in the bowl with the kale. Pit and half the cherries and place in the bowl with the kale. Add the pecans to the bowl.
To make the dressing, combine the juice of the other half of the lemon, the olive oil, and the honey mustard in a small bowl and whisk together. Pour in the bowl with the other salad ingredients and toss together.

13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful salad! I could use some salad right now, after all of my sugar gorging during the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if I've ever tried Kale...hmmm... If I can find cherries at my super market tonight I'll definitely make this! =)

    Ergo-Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dried or fresh cherries, you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'll ever be sick of kale. But I loved it before it was trendy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it would be horrible to have kale go out o trend I love kale! what a great salad for hte new year (:


    x
    mummyicancook

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm - this looks like just the thing I need to jump start my New Year's eating habits! I love how bright and colorful it is - makes a salad more inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elizabeth, interesting salad but it sure look appetizing. Great combination!
    Have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! I love to find new ways to work raw kale into my diet, other than green juices. Thanks for sharing!


    PS - Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on the chocolate mousse! I appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica @ Barefoot by the SeaJanuary 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM

    Yes, please! I'm loving kale this year and your salad looks addictive! Def putting this on my next week's menu! Thanks for visiting my blog too - I now, am your newest follower! Pinning this too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessica @ Barefootbysea.comJanuary 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM

    Oops! Couldn't pin it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jessica @ Barefootbysea.comJanuary 9, 2013 at 2:17 PM

    Looks amazing though! So glad to be your newest follower!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. stop. kale is a food trend that should disappear in 2013? really? i love this stuff! it's seriously saving my life right now. i usually eat it raw with a tahini dressing but wouldn't mind jazzing it up with honey mustard instead...

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...