Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Quinoa with Chickpeas and Feta

DSC_2198

Although I've been baking like crazy the past few months and days to keep away from the cold, I am so ready for the light and freshness of spring. I am excited for the days to be lighter for longer, for the temperature to be slightly, but not too much, warmer, and for the first fresh strawberries.

Right now though, we are stuck in January, and then February, for just a little while longer. I am so excited for fruit and warmer temperatures, so I decided to make something a little lighter, not baked. I always associate fall and winter with heavier baked goods, and spring and summer with lighter fare.

DSC_2259

First ingredient? Quinoa. Every time I see quinoa I just imagine it spilling all across the floor. What a disastrous nightmare that would be...

DSC_2062

As the quinoa cooks, you can gather your chickpeas, feta and parsley.

DSC_2081

Allow the quinoa to cool before stirring in the other three ingredients.

DSC_2151

Enjoy outside as you anticipate the spring!

DSC_2205

Quinoa with Chickpeas and Feta

Ingredients:
1 cup raw quinoa 
15 oz. can chickpeas 
1 heaping cup feta
3 tablespoons minced parsley

Directions
Cook quinoa according to package directions. Allow to cool. 
Combine the cooked quinoa, chickpeas, feta and parsley in a medium bowl. Stir to combine and serve. 

9 comments:

  1. It's funny, at the supermarket this weekend I started getting excited for February strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so excited for the local strawberries. i also want to go strawberry picking sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum! I'm missing the light, fresh, + bright flavors of the spring, too - I can't wait to be making stuff like this again soon. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited for spring, but I know that spring means summer is coming, so that makes me wary. I hate summer in NY, it's so sticky and gross! I'd need a big bowl of this every night after work to make up for it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. summer in Nashville is super humid as well. Pros and cons to everything, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle @ MakeMeCake.MeJanuary 25, 2013 at 9:18 PM

    This sounds so fresh and yummy! Perfect for a sunny nearly spring day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't tried a lot of quinoa recipes - but this one looks like one we would like!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i can already hear fruit pies calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is making my resolution smile. Love the simply hearty meal this could be. Come spring and fruit picking it is. Got my eye on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...