Monday, February 25, 2013

Buttermilk Cornbread

DSC_0187

I live in the south, and because of this, there are many great foods around here. Cornbread is just one of the many great traditional southern sides, but I did not grow to like it until I had it about two years ago on new years day. I'm not sure what clicked that day, but I have really grown to love it. My mom usually makes it whenever she makes chili, but I recently had it at my grandmother's house a couple weekends ago and it totally sparked me to make it myself. Hers was on the sweeter end of the cornbread spectrum, and while that version is delicious, I like a cornbread that is not as weighed on the sweet side.

DSC_0093

Also while I was at my grandmother's, I looked around in her attic for some old pots, plates and what-not. I managed to find a couple of decorative tins along with this cast iron skillet. We already have a smaller cast iron, but not one that is this large (10-inches).

DSC_0097-001

DSC_0108

So, if you don't have a cast iron skillet, you should get one because it is what makes the greatest cornbread crust.

Or, maybe just spend some time looking around in your grandmother's attic to see if she has one so you can making amazing cornbread.

DSC_0187

Buttermilk Cornbread 
makes 8 large servings 

Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups stone-ground cornmeal
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons canola oil
1 2/3 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more to serve 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375F and place a 10-inch iron skillet on the middle rack.
In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and buttermilk. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
Take the skillet out of the oven and swirl the tablespoon of butter around the hot skillet until melted and the skillet is fully coated. Spoon the batter into the skillet and bake until golden, 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven allow to cool slightly before cutting into 8 servings. 

9 comments:

  1. Yum, your cornbread looks SO good + I love that you made it in a cast iron. That's the best way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cornbread and my cast iron skillets! My grandmothers are long since gone, but I picked up my most recent skillet (also a 10 inch) at a garage sale last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of your smooth skillet! I'm still working slowly to get mine nice and smooth, but I've only had it for 2 years or so - we'll get there. The cornbread looks delicious, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kayle (The Cooking Actress)February 26, 2013 at 12:37 PM

    SUCH gorgeous cornbread-love that it's made in a cast iron skillet, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tasty looking cornbread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cornbread. I never really thought of it as southern. At least, not like "shrimp and grits" southern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. our cast irons are sooo old so we've had a while to break them in :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Skillet cornbread is the best!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...