Friday, February 22, 2013

Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes

DSC_0320

There seems to be a a super secret and special way to scoop pancake batter, pour it onto a hot griddle and then flip it in order for the pancakes to come out looking pretty and round. It seems easy enough to do, but I just have trouble with pancakes. When I scoop and pour the batter they always come out slightly deformed and not looking like a nice and circular pancake should. They are not terrible looking, but I do want to master how to make the perfect and pretty pancake. So, when I could not get these pancakes out of my head, I just dove in and made them.

The pretty factor aside, though, I actually really do enjoy making pancakes. Especially when the end product is fluffy, evenly brown and maple syrup is involved.

DSC_0269

One of the fluffy factors comes from the fact that there is a lot of baking powder in this batter. I never have used that much baking powder at once before, but I know I'll be using that much again when I make these over and over in the future.

DSC_0295

So, go have fun this weekend making these pancakes, whether they are perfectly round or not. And be sure to check out Sydney's video for these amazing and fluffy pancakes!

DSC_0319

Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
makes about 20 pancakes

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon baking powder (yes, you will need this much!)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 eggs, separated
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup vegetable oil
maple syrup, for serving 

Directions:
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks of your two eggs along with the buttermilk, vanilla and oil. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk the two egg whites until foamy. Set aside.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until just incorporated. Fold in the foamy egg whites.
Pour 1/3 cup of the pancake batter onto a hot griddle and cook until golden brown on both sides. Serve with maple syrup. 

5 comments:

  1. I never have round pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elisabeth, these pancakes look great--from the perspective I can't tell that they're not round. We love pancakes here-fluffier the better, though I'm constantly sticking too many healthy elements that decrease the 'fluff'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayle (The Cooking Actress)March 1, 2013 at 11:02 PM

    I have trouble making pretty pancakes. It's a mystery to me. I think yours look pretty darn lovely, and def. tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your pancakes look absolutely perfect! For real! I haven't eaten breakfast yet and now i'm absolutely jonesing for pancakes. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine are never perfectly round either! But, these sure look tasty! ;)

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...