Sunday, February 17, 2013

Strawberry Lime Paletas

DSC_2936

Winter has really brought out my craving for summer fruit, and I am just waiting for the local strawberries and other fruits to be ripe and in season. However, I was not patient enough to wait a couple more months for the fresh strawberries, so I went ahead and made these frozen treats.

DSC_2926

DSC_2519

It all starts with a simple lime paleta base. These have a little zing to them since they are not too sweet, but that is what I loved about them.

DSC_2547

Once you have made the lime base, you can add the strawberries. You can push the larger berries down into the bottom of the molds since the molds will hold them down, and then the smaller berries will float on the surface so your paletas can be strawberry-ified all the way through.

DSC_2549

Then, just stick your molds in the freezer and wait a couple of hours.

Be patient! I wasn't and accidentally broke one when I tried to pull it out of the mold because it was not quite ready yet. However, after they are completely frozen and set, I ran warm water on the outside of the molds to break them out of their shells.

DSC_3001

I think that these would be great with lemon, too, but I really love limes... and strawberries.

DSC_2954

Strawberry Lime Paletas
adapted slightly from Love and Cupcakes
makes 10 pops

Ingredients:
2 cups water
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 1-inch strips of lime zest 
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice 
8 oz. frozen strawberries, halved 

Directions
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the water, sugar and lime zest. Cook until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil. Take off heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl and stir in the lime juice. Evenly divide the lime mixture between the popsicle molds and then place the strawberries in the molds. You can use the popsicle sticks to press the larger strawberries to the bottom of the molds and then the smaller berries will float to the top. Put the lid on, stick the popsicle sticks through the slots in the lid and freeze for about 5 hours. 

12 comments:

  1. These sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! and I love that mould, where's it from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love strawberries and lime - especially strawberry and lime popsicles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here it is! http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-PLP-1-Freezer-Maker/dp/B0000CF7H6

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so refreshing! I love the combination of strawberries and lime- so delicious. They look pretty, too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been yearning for summer fruit too!! =) Oooo these look good!!! I have to see if I can find ice pop holders! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is the one I have! http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-PLP-1-Freezer-Maker/dp/B0000CF7H6

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been craving strawberries too! This looks sooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julia // A Cedar spoonFebruary 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM

    Now that is a great treat for the kiddos (and adults!). I am pinning this for the summer. I keep seeing homemade Popsicles and can't wait to jump on the bandwagon. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will definitely be making soooo many popsicles this summer! They're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. fixed! sorry about that; thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...