Friday, March 1, 2013

Brown Butter Cookie Dough Rice Krispie Treats

DSC_1115

Today has been a day I have been looking forward to for the last two months since today is the first day of March! I don't have a specific month that I call my "favorite," but if I did, it would probably be March and definitely not January, February or August. Those three months just have bad vibes radiating from them.

DSC_1014

I love March because it is not super hot (or isn't supposed to be) and not too cold, either. It is the start of spring and other great things like days with more sunlight.

So, naturally, we can celebrate by making dessert, right? How do these rice krispies sound? Because they are really amazing. I guess it is hard to go wrong when brown butter and cookie dough meet in a rice krispie treat.

DSC_0504

First, we start by making the rice krispie bottom and top layers.

DSC_0508

Make sure you do not overcook your marshmallows because that can totally happen. Even if the marshmallows look fine and not burnt at all, they may have been heated just a tad too long. To avoid this, take the pot off the heat after you brown the butter and let the hot butter and the heat from the pot do the melting of the marshmallows.

DSC_0518

If you overcook them, they won't string together and create a great texture and taste. They will still be great, but it is worth the extra time to stir the marshmallows into the butter off the heat rather than let the stove do all the work.

DSC_0522

Also, taking the pot off the heat sooner allows these treats to cook while you are stirring the marshmallows. That way, when you make the bottom layer of rice krispies followed by the cookie dough, your dough doesn't completely melt and turn into a mess.

DSC_0547

One thing I really loved about these is the texture that the chocolate chips and rice krispies provide when they are together. The little chunks and the thick krispie layer is really great.

DSC_1088

Now, go celebrate the fact that it's March!

DSC_1007

Brown Butter Cookie Dough Rice Krispie Treats
makes 9 treats

Ingredients:
for the cookie dough:
1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature 
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk, heavy cream or half-and-half
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips 

for the rice krispie treats:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/8 teaspoon salt 
10 oz. marshmallows 
6 cups rice krispies cereal

Directions
Butter an 8x8-inch pan and set aside. 
To make the cookie dough, cream together the butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and milk until incorporated. Add the flour and salt in low speed until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Set aside. 
To make the rice krispies, brown the butter in a large pot over medium heat. It will melt, foam, bubble and brown. Once it browns, take off heat and stir in the salt, followed by the marshmallows. Stir until the marshmallows are completely combined with the butter and melted. If the marshmallows do not melt completely, place back over heat until the marshmallows do melt. Then, gently stir in the cereal. 
To assemble, spread half of the rice krispie mixture in the prepared pan. Then, evenly spread the cookie dough on top, followed by the second half of the rice krispie mixture. Buttered hands will work the best to assemble the treats as they are very sticky. 
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. 

12 comments:

  1. Kayle (The Cooking Actress)March 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM

    Ooooooooh so delicious!!!!!! I want like a million of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love browned butter in treats! It tastes so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness! This looks heavenly! I just made rice krispie treats last night for my kiddo and I..cookie dough in between? Now you're talking! Pinning this for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone loving March so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the weather in March too. These look so good, I love rice krispies but this takes them to a whole new level!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound delicious! I do like January though...I got married in that month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so awesome! I can see why you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather @ Sugar Dish MeMarch 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM

    These are soooo awesome!! Loving how dense the rice krispies part of the treats are-- yum for real.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok these sound and look TOO good to be true!!!! I love rice krispie treats. and using brown butter. AND cookie dough!! I love the month of March as well. :) Let's make it a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's all of my favorite things in one little treat!
    Happy March!

    ReplyDelete
  11. DROOL. I want, I want! You are a freaking genius.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look crazy delicious! What a nice addition to rice krispies!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...