Friday, March 15, 2013

Candied Citrus Peel

DSC_0558

I don't know about you, but I've always liked sour patch kids. Maybe it's because it's not something to commonly DIY at home, but I love their texture and sourness. Although I was not set on making homemade sour patch kids when I had these citrus peels in mind, after I finished making these peels they tasted so much like the sweet candy I love, except they aren't sour. The texture and taste are pretty similar, especially the lemon peels.

I have had candied grapefruit peels in the past, but never lemon peels. I actually liked the lemon more, even thought the grapefruit is still really delicious. I really want to try candied orange peels next, and maybe even lime!

DSC_0566

DSC_0572

DSC_0573

I'm not sure what goes into the coating of sour patch kids to make them sour, but for now I'm just sticking to sugar. Also, I liked these best within about a day of making these because they were the softest and tastiest then, and then became slightly harder after that, but they are still great anytime.

DSC_0644

DSC_0645

Candied Citrus Peel
from shutterbean

Ingredients:
2 grapefruits
4 lemons
4 cups sugar, plus more for rolling
4 cups water

Directions:
Make six slits from the top to the bottom of each grapefruit and lemon, cutting through the peel, but not the meat of the fruit. Gently remove the peel with your fingers and save the insides for another use.
Slice each peel into strips and trim the excess pith from each strip.
Place the strips in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then drain. Repeat twice.
Bring the sugar and 4 cups of water to a boil, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Wash down the sides of the pot with a wet brush to prevent crystals from forming. Add the strips to the boiling water and sugar syrup and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer gently, without stirring, until strips are translucent, about 1 hour. Remove from heat and allow the strips to cool in the syrup.
Transfer the strips to a wire rack atop a baking sheet and roll the strips in sugar. Allow to dry at least 24 hours and store in an airtight container.

6 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to make this myself - thanks for sharing your recipe. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo this is must be good!! I love citrus candied anything!! =)

    Ergo-Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother's favorite winter treat was candied grapefruit peel. I remember him sitting at the table plowing through at least 2 grapefruits in one sitting just to provide my mom with enough peel.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to use up all of the citrus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never made candied citrus peel before, but I've always wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love candied peel at christmas! I've not had it in years!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...