Monday, March 18, 2013

French Toast Pancakes

DSC_1234

Although this a recipe for pancakes, it is also a recipe for french toast. Basically, this is a baked, doughy pancake, but when you cover it in powdered sugar and maple syrup, it tastes like a doughy piece of french toast slammed into a pancake, except no griddle is involved. So, instead of waiting beside a hot griddle for pancakes or french toast, you can wait by a warm oven for your breakfast (or lunch, or dinner) to bake.

Even though there is the traditional way to make french toast with eggs and bread, this is a different method that has it's own crispy edges made better with powdered sugar and maple syrup.

DSC_1155

DSC_1199

DSC_1262

DSC_1270

DSC_1303

So, if you are in need of a quick, easy and delicious breakfast food, look no further because this is wonderful.

DSC_0865

French Toast Pancakes 
serves 8

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
4 large eggs 
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt 
powdered sugar and maple syrup, to serve

Directions
Preheat oven to 425F. Pour the melted butter into a 9x13-inch pan. Use your hands to grease the bottom and sides of the pan. 
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, milk, eggs, vanilla extract and salt. Pour into the prepared pan and bake about 22 minutes. Make sure you do not have another rack in your oven above your pan because this batter needs room to breathe and poof up as needed, because it will poof. 
Serve warm with a generous dusting of powdered sugar and maple syrup. 

13 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea! I have to try this sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayle (The Cooking Actress)March 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM

    WHAAAA??! Omg I love this. It looks crazy good. Ahhhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm addicted to anything with vanilla extract!! =) I have to try these!!

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your French toast looks delicious, and your eggs are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds similar to a Finnish Oven Pancake--my kids' favorite snow delay/snow day breakfast. I love the photo of the eggshells-ready for the compost or the worm bin or the tomato garden?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley @ Wishes and DishesMarch 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM

    French toast and pancakes rolled into one?! Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. eggs can be so unbelievably beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made baked pancakes only once before and it was a disaster! I'll have to try this version.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reminds me of Dutch pancakes! Which I have not made in f-o-r-e-v-e-r. These look so light and puffy and delicious..time to make some this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We hope to start boiling our own maple syrup again this weekend (if it warms up a bit.) If so, these will surely be on our menu. I am sure the texture of these is something I would crave!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Monet@anecdotesandapples.comMarch 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM

    Could anything look or sound more delicious? I would have never thought of doing this...brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing. I have had a long day...and I needed something sweet to cheer me up. I hope you are well. Enjoy the rest of your week. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. making your own maple syrup sounds so amazing!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...