Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Spring Gardening

Untitled

To celebrate spring starting last Wednesday, we went out and bought several greens to grow in the next couple of months. Although it snowed here this morning and definitely did not look or feel like spring, the next week of weather looks promising and great for our new plants.

We have primarily just grown herbs and tomatoes in the past, but this year we bought three types of spinach, parsley, brussel sprouts and lettuce. We also want to buy several basil plants in a couple of weeks and plant them somewhere since we use a bunch of basil for pesto. Also, we already had a whole clump of oregano that survived from last year as well as a small bunch of parsley and lots of rosemary.

If you have any gardening tips or suggestions, please send them my way because I want to know as much as possible to help these greens thrive and be happy as the temperature rises a bit. Happy spring gardening!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

12 comments:

  1. I hope your garden is a huge success this year! Basil is one of my favorite things to grow because it's fairly hardy and gets HUGE quick - you'll have plenty to make pesto with ... and extra to give away to friends and family. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we had three basil plants last year and we grew SO much; it was incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for gardening! I'm no good at it, but I admire those that do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring holds such promise, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. kirsten@FarmFreshFeastsMarch 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM

    Looks lovely, Elizabeth, especially as there's snow in my garden beds. I do have one bit of gardening advice for you to keep in mind next fall. If you have deciduous trees, or know folks who will have piles of leaves in the fall, shred the leaves up (a mulching mower works great for this), dig them into your garden bed, and add compost so that your organic material is level with the top of your raised beds. Over the winter the leaves will decompose, adding nutrients to your soil, and you'll have deeper, happier soil for even longer roots next spring.
    Thanks for a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much for your wise words! i have been a bit interested in turning our compost into soil, so i will need to look into these two things for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm definitely no expert gardener, but i've been wanting to get into it more this season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH wow that's so lovely, good on you. If I had the space I think I would give this a go, there's nothing better than a nice fresh garden to brighten up your day!

    Alyssa

    http://squibtoday.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really inspiring me to head to the garden centre and sort out my window boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been planting my garden too. It looks like you've gotten off to a great start. Tips? I bury my garbage leftovers when I don't put them in the compost pit. Just dig a hole in the veggie garden and bury them. They'll decompose and add nutrients to the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this informative and inspiring post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am late to your post, but I'd love to see a update of how great everything is going!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...