Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Triple Chocolate Biscotti

Untitled

I feel like I do not always realize how great something is until long after everyone else has already had their initial excitement about said great something.  

One thing that I feel I have been missing out on are sprinkles. As to why have I not been excited about sprinkles before now, I do not know, but they are just so colorful and exciting and I want to sprinkle them on any cake and cookie that I can. And, as you can see by this post,  the latest baked good I have sprinkle-ized are these incredible biscotti. 

Biscotti was on my list of foods to make in 2013 and now that I have made my first batch, I am so excited to make another version (with sprinkles, only of course). 

DSC_1513

Since these are "triple chocolate" biscotti, there must be three types of chocolate in these, right? Thankfully, these have cocoa powder, chocolate chips and nutella drizzled on top.

Then, on top of all of that chocolate, are the sprinkles (so exciting)!

Untitled

Oh, and another old trend I have just now gotten into? Instagram.

....and these little video gems. That is all.

Happy spring! Celebrate with biscotti.

Untitled 

Triple Chocolate Biscotti
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa powder or dark cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature 
1 cup granulated sugar 
2 large eggs, lightly beaten 
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup nutella 
plenty of sprinkles

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside. 
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powders, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside. 
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light in color, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs and vanilla for about 2 more minutes. Add the dry ingredients in 3 additions on low speed until the dough comes together. Fold in the chocolate chips. 
Divide the dough in 4 equal pieces. Working one fourth at a time, shape each piece into 6-inch logs before flattening so that they are 1/2-1 inch high and 2-3 inches wide. Then, place each log on the prepared baking sheet. 
Bake 20 minutes, rotating half way through, or until just firm. Everything is alright when the logs spread and crack. Allow to cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. 
Cut each log into 1/2 to 3/4-inch slices and stand each slice on their sides on the baking sheet. Bake an additional 10 minutes, rotating the pan half way through. 
Place the biscotti on a wire rack to cool. Meanwhile, melt the nutella in a small bowl in the microwave. Transfer to a sandwich bag, cut off the corner and drizzle on top of each biscotti. Sprinkle with sprinkles. Store in an airtight container for up to a week. 

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful and they look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayle (The Cooking Actress)March 21, 2013 at 9:18 AM

    I'm usually not in love with biscotti but these look SO chocolatey and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am going to have to add biscotti to my 2013 bake list too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome chocolate overload!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first and only time I've had biscotti before it was super hard and pretty tasteless, but I decided to try this version and it is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh heavens, your biscotti look beyond delicious - YUM! I wish I could have a few right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect with a cuppa of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Chocolate biscotti are pretty much the best ever, but with sprinkles? Total perfection.

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...