Tuesday, June 25, 2013

a return, in pictures

Untitled

Well, hello there! Long time, no blogging. The long, extended break I have just had from this blog was not intentional, but something that happened and played out by itself before I knew it. It was not only a time where I lost inspiration (just a bit) to write consistently about new foods I've made, but when I also found myself wrapped up with other commitments that drew me away from not only my blog, but other blogs as well. I have not been reading as many blogs recently, and have obviously not contributed to my blog, but this break has filled me with ideas for what I want to do and so many things that I want to make.

Although I haven't spent quite so much time on my blog, I have been spending time in the kitchen. Not as much time as usual, but I still made a bunch of delicious goods during this blogging break. Even though I haven't blogged about everything I have made in these crazy three months (!) I've been absent, I have taken pictures and would like to share these with you today. These are a collection of pretty much all baked goods I made this past spring but have not shared here. I would like to do a separate post for pretty much all of the things I have made and have not blogged about before, but that would become a bit boring and repetitive since I only have one or two different kinds of photos for each thing I have made. So, I just decided to compile them into one giant post.

However, I am looking forward to posting new recipes in the future, and am happy to get back into being active again with not only my blog, but other blogs that I love and have sadly fallen out of touch with. I have still been reading many of my favorite blogs, but have not been commenting or waiting quite as anxiously as I usually do for each new post. To come back to blogging, though, I will now tell you about (almost) everything I have made during the break .

We must start with the beignets first, because that is just the logical place to begin, right? I used Joy's Buttermilk Beignet recipe and they were absolutely incredible.

Oh, and also, the first picture in this post are ingredients for muesli that I made. back to beignets now.

Untitled

Since the first batch of beignets was so great, I made them a second time and they were even better and fluffier than the first time. The only difference I can think of between the two times is that I refrigerated the dough overnight on the second batch. I guess that extra time to rise (and practice from the first time around) was the huge and delicious difference that made them so much more incredible!

Untitled

While we are talking about doughnuts, below are baked powdered sugar doughnuts . These were definitely not as great as I was expecting, but every new baked good is a learning experience.

DSC_0478

Next topic: cookies. I will keep this category short and, most importantly, sweet.

Salted Brownie Cookies, Butter me up, Brooklyn.

Untitled

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies, The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook.

Untitled

White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies, Joy the Baker Cookbook.

Untitled

Now, let us move on to cakes!

I made a caramel cake for my mom's birthday. Another March calls for another caramel cake.

Untitled

Still on birthday cakes, I made a strawberry ice cream birthday cake for one of our family friends. I used this recipe from Annie's Eats but doubled the strawberry sauce and omitted the blueberry sauce.

Untitled

Since I was excited about strawberry season, I made another cake with strawberries since that is just the thing to do.

Untitled

For my grandfather's ninetieth (!) birthday, I made a super special rainbow cake.

Untitled

You have to balance out cake with ice cream, so I made two frozen treats.

First, we have a Raspberry Goat Milk's Frozen Yogurt from the Molly Moon's Homemade Ice Cream. I do not believe that there is a bad recipe in this amazing cookbook!

Untitled

Ice cream sandwiches from Shutterbean. I switched the blueberries and lemons for peaches and I loved it.

Untitled

Now we come to my favorite part: pie. There is something so incredibly satisfying about making a pie, don't you think?

The first berry pie I made this summer was a Blueberry Blackberry Pie.

Break

I also made a fudge pie for my aunt's birthday. Since she unfortunately does not live close enough for me to pop over to her house and leave it on her doorstep, I had to mail it. This pie is an incredible baked good to mail because this pie gets better and better with age as it has time for its flavors to fully develop.

Break

And lastly, we end with two random items that are not doughnuts, cookies, a cake, ice cream or a pie.

First, we have S'mores Pop Tarts from Take a Megabite. #ohmygoshsogood

Untitled

And so it goes, we end with pizza: naan, pizza sauce, mozzarella, herbs, parmesan.

Break

Until next time! I will be back soon, for sure. -xo.

7 comments:

  1. Gosh - has it really been that long!? I've been wondering about you :) Glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayle (The Cooking Actress)June 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM

    So happy you're back! OMG SO MUCH YUMMINESS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne Leader ReasonsJune 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM

    I have missed the blog and am glad you're back. French treats next?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We bloggers may remain away from the blog for a while but we can apparently never stay away from the kitchen!

    Welcome back. Eagerly awaiting new posts from you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. kirsten@FarmFreshFeastsJune 26, 2013 at 7:05 PM

    Welcome back! You had me at beignets!

    ReplyDelete

SHARE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...